Why is CBD Considered a Powerful Superfood for Your Skin?
- Posted on: Jun 4 2020
Controversial yet trendy, CBD has created countless ways to enter doctor’s offices, beauty products, health food stores, and even pet shops. The all-time high product and the hype around it have indeed traveled across the globe. CBD is sweeping the skincare industry with hemp-infused products popping up everywhere.
According to a news article provided by Grand View Research, the CBD cosmetics market will hit $1.7 billion by 2025. North America is leading the race due to the legalization and high demand for cannabis in the US and Canada. CBD Canada products are swiftly becoming the industry leaders of high quality Cannabidiol skincare products. In addition, there is a tremendous increase in the introduction of organic CBD cosmetic products that will boost the global CBD-infused cosmetics market.
Let’s dig deeper into the mystery of CBD for skincare. With so many products available, CBD has become more than just a trend and is truly a transformative ingredient. We break down what CBD is, whether it is a superfood for skin, and what benefits it can deliver.
All about CBD
Cannabis is a flowering plant family with several different species. One of the species is Cannabis Sativa, which has been used for its medical benefits since ancient times. Cannabis Sativa contains active compounds called cannabinoids. The two most common cannabinoids are Cannabidiol (CBD) and Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Unlike THC, CBD does not possess any psychoactive properties, meaning that it will not get you high. The natural goodness of cannabis is well-known worldwide. Many people are shifting their opinion on cannabis. However, there is still a portion of the population that is unaware of CBD’s natural benefits and that it can be taken daily as a superfood to improve our health.
Some of the benefits of CBD are:
- promote natural pain relief
- combat anxiety
- reduce inflammation
- improve sleep cycles
Now that you have a brief idea about CBD let’s dive into the skincare benefits of CBD to understand why it is considered a superfood.
CBD – A powerful superfood for your skin
Nowadays, CBD has been popularly marketed in the skincare industry as a cure for every skin problem from acne to wrinkles. There is an array of CBD products available worldwide – creams, cleansers, serums, lip balms, and sunscreens.
This natural ingredient is taking over the skincare market with its claims of visible improvements in the skin. CBD is most well known for its potential anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antioxidant, antipruritic, anti-aging, and anti-malignancy properties. One of the abstracts, The Potential Role of Cannabinoids in Dermatology, revealed that CBD could be used in treating a variety of skin conditions including atopic dermatitis, and acne, psoriasis, pruritus, skin cancer, and pain.
CBD can be useful for all skin types, including sensitive skin or acne-prone complexions. Here are some of the benefits of CBD.
- CBD has anti-inflammatory properties: Many studies have shown that CBD contains anti-inflammatory properties. Reducing inflammation and assisting in calming the skin, CBD assists in pain relief. Researchers have demonstrated that CBD can minimize inflammatory conditions like acne or breakouts and also decrease redness.
A study investigating the therapeutic effect of CBD-enriched ointment revealed that it is a safe and effective non-invasive alternative to improve the quality of life in patients with some skin disorders, especially those which are caused by inflammation.
- CBD has antioxidant properties: One of the biggest reasons you should include CBD in your skincare routine is its antioxidant properties. The natural antioxidant properties of CBD can combat skin damage from harmful external conditions such as sun exposure, pollution, or smoke. CBD from a reputed cannabis dispensary can also potentially diminish visible signs of aging, such as wrinkles, dullness, and reddish skin tones.
Furthermore, a study has identified that CBD induces antioxidant activity in keratinocytes. The primary purpose of keratinocytes is to preserve our skin’s barrier against fungal, viral, microbial, or parasitic invasion; minimize heat and water loss, and protect against UV radiation. The study concluded that topical use of CBD could improve barrier function and improve different skin diseases including keratin disorders and dermatitis.
- CBD has antibacterial properties: CBD has also been found to exhibit antibacterial properties that can improve the bacterial imbalance and improve skin issues like redness, blemishes, or blotchiness. CBD acne treatment can keep your skin free from acne-causing bacteria and stop the excess oil buildup that clogs the skin.
- CBD has anti-scar properties: A study published in the journal La Clinica Terapeutica revealed that CBD ointment significantly reduced scars related to psoriasis and atopic dermatitis. It also improved the skin’s appearance in regards to hydration and elasticity.
Furthermore, CBD oil has shown beneficial effects when applied topically on the skin. It has the perfect proportion of fatty acids that provide extra moisture to the skin as well as a healthy appearance. This property of CBD also helps to relieve painful skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
CBD contains a variety of vitamins (Vitamin A, D, & E), multiple amino acids, and even minerals that optimize collagen production, creating a more resilient complexion, in turn strengthening the skin.
Choose the right CBD skin care products
One of the essential factors in getting any effective skincare product is to choose the right one for better results. Since the CBD skin care industry is still young, we advise you to seek genuinely pure and effective products.
Look for products that contain pure CBD. This means that CBD has been refined multiple times to deliver maximum therapeutic benefits. The purer the CBD product, the more effective and suitable it is for your skin.
This superfood is one of the most potent skin soothers for red, puffy, stressed, damaged, irritated, and inflamed complexions, and thus expanding its transformative power in the world of beauty. And we cannot wait for you to experience it!