Summer is just around the corner, and while we’re all looking forward to a little fun in the sun, we know that protecting your skin from the fierce Florida heat can be a challenge. The majority of products on the market contain ingredients that are potential skin irritants, which makes shopping for summer skin care products increasingly difficult. Common ingredients like chemical dyes, synthetic fragrance, binders, and preservatives can have damaging effects on your skin, and some products may even increase skin’s sensitivity and worsen symptoms.
At Trilogy Labs, we strive to bring you the latest on leading edge skin care products for physicians, skin care specialists and spas. We’ve compiled a list of ways to beat the heat this summer that will keep your customers’ skin looking and feeling so fresh you’ll want to try them out yourself. So, chill out this summer with these basic but essential summer skin care tips!
1. A fun twist on staying hydrated. We all understand that staying hydrated when it’s hot outside is a priority, but did you know that hydrating your skin is just as important? High temperatures, humidity and UV rays are all external factors that contribute toward a reduction in hydration levels of the skin. Remember to drink plenty of water as much of your fluids are lost through sweating during this time of year. Try adding a little bit of lime, mint or cucumber to your water, as this helps detoxify your skin while hydrating at the same time. You can also use a face mist like our Minerale Spritz on your body to cool down and refresh your skin.
2. Shield yourself from harmful UV rays. In Florida, using sun protection may seem like a no-brainer. Most of us have no problem slathering on the sunscreen while at the beach, but did you know that the sensitive skin on your face and along your hairline still get exposed to harmful UVA and UVB rays even when you’re not in direct sunlight? Since the sun emits these rays year-round, your skin is at risk even on cloudy days. Try using a light moisturizer with SPF every day (not just in the summer) to shield your skin. Use our SunGuard oil-free moisturizing daily sunblock to prevent wrinkles, fine lines and other signs of aging.
3. Discover the benefits of exfoliation. Use a mild scrub or enriching exfoliating product such as our HydraGel, Citrus Scrub or Enzyme Polish in the summer for cleaner, smoother skin. This brightens your face by removing the buildup of dead skin cells and excess oil. If you have oily skin, keep acne away by using an alcohol-free toner to remove impurities and tighten pores. You can also use blotting paper to prevent excess oil, dirt and pollution from sitting on your skin and clogging your pores.
4. Don’t forget to protect your lips. Your lips can get sunburned, too! Remember to hydrate and protect delicate lip tissue by choosing a moisturizing lip balm, preferably a tinted SPF to add a pop of color and sun protection. Reapply regularly when outdoors.
5. Free your skin by using lightweight makeup. Avoid caking on the makeup when it’s hot and humid outside. Heavy foundation tends to sit on your skin clogging up your pores. Opt for a lightweight foundation with SPF or mineral makeup, which contains titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, mica, iron oxides and gold that create built-in sunscreen. Additionally, the zinc oxide has an anti-inflammatory and soothing effect on the skin. This can help to diminish redness and help heal irritation in sensitive skin types. For more on this, see our post on the benefits of mineral makeup.
As always, our vision is to create skin care products that are highly effective, using scientifically proven ingredients at therapeutic concentrations. To learn more about our fabulous line of ID Skin products and get yours in time for summer, click here.
Posted in ID Skin